Ketogenic diet or popularly known as keto diet is a high fat moderate protein and low carbohydrate diet. Not only it is efficient to burn fat but it also offers a good amount of health benefits also. An average keto diet consists of 75% of fats, 20% of proteins and 5% of carbohydrate.
Types Of Ketogenic Diet
Well! there are 4 types of ketogenic diet and all are highly efficient.
- Standard Keto diet: This diet consist of 75% of fats, 25% of proteins and 5% of fat.
- Cyclical keto diet This type of diet include 5 days of following keto diet and 2 days of high carbohydrate to refuel.
- High protein keto diet: This diet is almost as same as the standard ketogenic diet, the only difference being the ratio of fats, protein and carbs is 60:35:5
- Targeted keto diet: This diet allows you to have your carbs around your workouts only.
How Does Ketogenic Diet Work?
When following keto diet the carbohydrate is drastically reduced and the amount of fat intake is increased.
This process makes body quite efficient at burning. When in the state of ketosis the body uses fat as fuel to run the body.
The fats stored in liver is turned into ketones which is responsible to give energy to brain when on a low carb diet.
There are more than 2 studies to back this claim https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets
Benefits Of Keto Diet.
Ketogenic diet has shown promising results when weight loss is concerned but this is not the only benefit it offers.
- Weight Loss: The first benefit of keto diet is weight loss. When following this diet the stored body fat is used to provide energy. Thus resulting in fat loss.
- Controlling Diabetes: Diabetes is linked with changes in metabolism, High blood sugar and impaired insulin function. Losing excess fat can be beneficial for type 2 diabetes. A study sows that 3 out of 10 diabetes patient left using their pills after following Ketogenic diet.
- Cancer: Keto diet is used by many doctors to treat cancer and to slow the growth of tumor.
- Alzheimer: Keto diet may reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer disease and sow down its progression.
- Acne: Due to less consumption if sugar and low insulin levels can help in improving acne.
- Brain Injury: A study conducted on animals showed this diet can help in reducing consciousness and aid in improving brain health.
Foods to Avoid
Ketogenic diet may seem like giving you full authority to eat anything whenever you want. Fortunately this is not the case. There are foods which you need to avoid while on a ketogenic diet.
- Sugary Foods: You got to avoid all kind of sugary food which include soda, ice cream, pastries and many more things.
- Sugar Free Diet food: These kind of food id filled with sugary alcohol and is also highly processed.
- Roots: Potato, radish, Sweet potato, etc.
- Grains: all kind of wheat and its products, rice and its products should be avoided.
- Diet food: Diet foods should be avoided as they are highly processed and contains quite a good amount of carbohydrates.
- Fruits: All kind of fruits should be avoided except for some berries.
- Alcohol: Alcohol contains a good amount if carbs.
Foods to Eat.
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
Healthy Keto Snacks
- Fatty meat or fish
- A handful of nuts or seeds
- Cheese with olives
- 1–2 hard-boiled eggs
- 90% dark chocolate
- A low-carb milkshake with almond milk, cocoa powder and nut butter
- Full-fat yogurt mixed with nut butter and cocoa powder
Side Effects of Ketogenic Diet and How to Prevent Them
Nothing good in this world comes without a price to pay. Ketogenic diet is a great diet but it is not for everyone. It has some initial side effects. This is known as keto flu and is usually over within few days.
Ketogenic diet can also change the water and mineral balance of body, adding salt can help reduce this problem.
Is ketogenic diet for everyone?
Keto diet is not for everyone. It is best suited for overweight, diabetic or people looking to improve metabolic health.
It is not quite suitable for people looking to add on weight and put on body mass.
for more such blogs click the link https://ifoodnfitness.com/weight-loss-promoting-food/