India is a huge country and the primary religion here is Hinduism. The religion of Hinduism promotes non-violence against both human and animals. Majority of the Indian people being Hindu follow a plant based diet. We know there are n number of benefit of following plant based diet and weight loss is one of the many benefits. Also being an agriculture based economy it is not difficult to follow a plant based diet. However obesity is one of the issues growing in the Indian space. We know what kind of price we have to pay for something like obesity. In this article we will be talking about how to follow a healthy Indian diet plan for weight loss. (You can find more such articles on http://ifoodnfitness.com)
Why follow a plant based diet?
Following a plant based diet has its own benefits. If you check Vedas, Purana or even the books of today like the monk who sold his Ferrari https://amzn.to/2U03zYu has stated the benefits of having a plant based diet.
Plant based diet may not only help reduce chronic disease but also promote weight loss.
What food groups are included in it?
The Indian diet is full of nutritious food. Not only it has excellent carbs sources but also great fats and protein sources. The Indian Diet is mainly influenced by religion, particularly Hinduism. The Religion is based on the concept that each and every religion should be treated equally.
A healthy lacto vegetarian diet should consist of mainly lentils, dairy, vegetables and fruits. It should avoid all kinds of meats. Spices such as garam masala, turmeric form the forefront of meals.
Turmeric if one of the most used spices all over India. It is so because of it medicinal properties, it helps in fighting inflammation and also has anti-cancer properties.
What to Eat on an Indian Diet Plan
Well when you talk about Indian diet plan be sure you’ll get to eat a lot of delicious food and those not being on the expensive side.
- Vegetables: Cauliflower, spinach, eggplant, onions, lady finger, cabbage, mushrooms and more.
- Fruits: Mango, guava, lemon, papaya, pomegranate, orange, apple, pears, watermelon and much more.
- Nuts: Cashew, almonds, peanuts.(these are easily available while this sub continent has n number of nuts and seed to offer)
- Legumes: Lentils, Black beans, Rajma, chickpeas, pulses, Bengal gram.
- Roots: Potatoes, sweet Potato, carrots, radish, beetroot, turnip.
- Grains: Brown rice, Whole Wheat, Basmati Rice, Quinoa, Barley, Corn.
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, Mustard oil, Olive oil, Ghee..
- Dairy: Milk, Cheese, Paneer, Yogurt.
- Protein: Paneer, tofu, soya beans, lentils.
Meals and snacks should focus on fresh fruits and vegetables.
What to Drink
Well one of the best way to cut down calories is to drink more. With, this being said you should know you are to avoid sodas, alcohol and packages soft and fruits drinks.
- Water: You are supposed to drink about 5-6 liters of water everyday.
- Coconut water: Coconut water has got some calories but it also packed with some essentials minerals and vitamins. It is refreshing also.
- Coffee: In this weight loss journey you have to drink coffee early in the morning or if you workout then as a pre-workout. Make sure the coffee is unsweetened.
What food to avoid in this Indian Diet plan.
India is the place for delicious healthy food but at the sometime you’ll get some indulging unhealthy food. You have to avoid all kind of friend foods and foods made of maida.
You should also avoid going for sodas, processed foods and sweet dishes.
Sample Indian diet Plan for Weight loss.
- Breakfast: Sambar, idli.
- Snack: Oranges or any other fruits.
- Lunch: Brown rice, Soya Bean curry, salad.
- Evening snack: Nuts
- Dinner: Whole wheat roti, Daal tadka, salad.
- Pre-sleep: Turmeric milk.
This is the sample diet plan. You have to take your proportions according to your calories requirement. Make sure to drink a lot of water and stay hyderated.